I started a build such as Jerseyboy with a Savage Axis in 22/250 and a Shaw barrel. The rifle was on sale for $200 new after rebate and the barrel was a little over $100 from MidwayUSA as it was on clearance and it fell under a discount. I was going to stick with the factory stock initially as cost was a factor.

I ended up using a used Savage 10 in 7mm/08 instead of the Axis. This gun has a trigger I can work with better than the Axis and the wood stock was much easier to enlarge so the barrel would fit. It came with an older 2-7x Bushnell 3200 which was good enough to use on the rifle. I posted an ad on a couple of local gun talk groups to borrow/rent a barrel vice and barrel nut wrench. I traded a box of 30 caliber Barnes bullets I had laying around for the wrench and it cost me a 12 pack of Heiniken beer for another member to invite me to his shop to "assist" (actually he did most the work) in swapping out the barrel.

I was well under $400 but over $350 including trade goods and gas to get the tools if I count the price of just one donor gun. If the second guy would have contacted me first I would have been just over $300 all told as he had the nut wrench. Savage stocks are nothing to brag about but it is functional and it will work until I find something "better" for a price I am willing to pay.