It's been my experience teaching handgun classes that women seem to be drawn to k frame size handguns. Course most of them had the grips replaced to smaller rubber either Pachmayr or Hogue grips. I agree with GunGeek on the SP101 with Hogue grips, or any of the guns he suggested. Will make a big difference but as he said they need a trigger job. But any of the six series I think the Speed Six was one of the most popular, or a round but smith model 10 and such. There are a lot of good ones out there but may need a spring replaced, or trigger job, but most need different grips. Doesn't matter if it's a 2-3/4, or 3" or 4" probably the 4" would make them the most comfortable. My wife has a 4" Blue Speed Six next to the chair that she reads in, with Pachmayr compac's. She likes it. But if I was going to pick one that should work the best for her it would have to be the Ruger LCRx 3" 38 special. Nice and light yet big enough to feel like you have something substantial.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain