Originally Posted by jwall
Dogger

This is NO knock against Rugers. This is my 46 'consecutive' hunting season. I've had too many brands & models of rifles to list. I've never had
any rifle of any brand fail me - in or out of season. Pick the rifle you like the looks and feel, Ruger or other.

I did have a rifle fail on me while hunting (not a Ruger), had used it for almost four years operating flawlessly. On a pronghorn hunt I hit a buck about 300 yards not the best shot placement, went to put another round in him and the trigger had failed to reset. Worked another round and the same issue, the aftermarket trigger I had been running those four years had started hanging up on the factory trigger guard. I had to push it forward to reset the trigger, luckily my buck laid down within about 500 yards and I was able to finish him off.

Anyway I bedded and did some file work on the stock and trigger guard and haven't had an issue again. Though it does sit uneasily in the back of my mind when I use that rifle, probably always will. I think you'll find the most rifle failures while hunting will be centered around the trigger.

I don't like Ruger rifles much, they just never felt right in my hands. However, they have a reputation for being rugged hunting rifles. So if you want a Ruger .30-06 go for it.