Originally Posted by prdator
Guys,
I do know that Mule Deer had IIRC stoped using RL powders because of POI change. I truly wonder why some people/rifles have expierinced this and others have not.
P

There will be variation between cartridges with ANY powder because of pressure of the load, bullet weight, jacket hardness, volume of powder, maybe even primer. Some cartridges/loads may exhibit more/less variability with RL22 than others.

As far as testing is concerned, chamber temperature is important as noted. Shooting with a chamber that is cool enough--and not letting the round "cook" too long before firing, must be considered. Temperature differential between the "control" test and the cold weather test, as noted, is something to keep in mind.

Shot to shot varibility (ES) is a concern for me. When there is a large ES in a load--regardless of temps or powder used--it's telling me that consistency is not there. If I'm shooting hot loads, I don't want to go UP in pressure anymore either. Although POI ain't going to change at 100yds, at 400yds it makes me begin to wonder.

I suspect, as RL22 becomes more popular, Alliant may continue to improve its sensitivity and consistency.

For now, I'll stick with the consistency of the 4831's for my 243's, 270's, 06AI's.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.