Originally Posted by prdator
Originally Posted by GSSP
Prdator,

Please enlighten me about your less than favorable experiences with Rel 25. I just developed an awesome 180 gr load for my 30-05 Ackely with it.

GSSP,

I thought it was temp change that caused my problem( but could have been do to a cahnge in lot#'s) but now after learing more about reloading and getting a good crono. I now think it was a max( over max) load any how as, I have had this happen to me with my 300 ultra and Retumbo. I was getting 3550 fps with a 180 gr tsx in my 300 rum) with NO pressuer signs and I thought WOW this custom barrel thing is cool but the next time I shot the same load I had primers falling out!!!!!!! blush

Allthough I have not used RL 25 since then and right now have no need to.

More test to come.
Thanks!!

When you change lot#, all bets are off! This has been my complait with Alliant powders since day one. I shoot R#22, 19, and 25. When you change lot#, reverify your loads.

Always buy Alliant powders in the 5lb'ers at least!

You also have to remember that results in Reloading manuals are for reference only and are an indications of what was safe for that pressure barrel that they were using with their lot# of powder.

Some barrels are faster than others while some custom barrels with custom chambers are a lot faster than sloppy factory barrels, and some lot# of powder are faster than others. You will have to use some common sense as to what is a safe max load in your rifle.

I use a method of putting loaded ammo underneath my arm (like a Dr. that was going to take your temp with a thermometer). I leave the loaded ammo in my arm pit for 5 full minutes then fire it, if you were on the ragged edge of a hot load, you will get extractor marks, case head scuffing, and perhaps very flat primers with stiffened extraction with the ammo that was in your arm pit for 5 minutes.

I think that R#22 got it's bad rap from guys changing powder lot#, I have known of a very slow lot# and a very fast lot#.