An excellent point. The ergonomics of the pistol grip area and the necessary curve of the lever combine with balance and barrel length to really produce a
unique rifle. My largest whitetail buck was taken years ago with a Model 71, and the running shot would not even have been attempted with one of my scoped rifles.
I also made an impossible shot on a bobcat actually stalking moving deer in a small group. More recently in Alaska, I caught up with a moose in the willows
and the M 71 finished the hunt.
Now that you mention it, I have two Model 1886 smokeless -era rifles in 33 WCF. The 86-33 WCF combination was the precursors to the 348 Model 71. The
half magazine rapid taper-straight lever grip- standard 86 is pretty fast, but not as smoothly functioning as the M71. The other 86 is a checked special order in 33 WCF,
with a pistol grip and curved lever like the Model 71. You can tell where Winchester got the idea for the Model 71.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....