The 22 and 24 in barrels on my early 450 pre-war Model 71 rifles are really not that long compared to my pre-64 M-70 in 375. Phil Shoemaker tends to agree
on lever action rifles. No hunter can really guess the outcome of following a wounded grizzly into the alders. I would prefer a balanced fast handling early Winchester 1886-M-71, but that is just me.
The barrel length on this test of the Marlin was less than 19 inches, and that is just legal-and interferes with function on repeat shots-for most hunters.

Its all personal preference, but the stakes can be high.

The Jackson, WY outfitter and elk guide is not alive to tell his story on a backup gun in a bow hunt. The bear was defending an overnight elk pile. There was a Glock pistol and my bet is
the guide did not chamber a round from the magazine. It was safe-too safe for the inexperienced hunter to use it. The trigger snapped on an empty chamber.
I sometimes carry a Colt New Service revolver in 45 Colt. Same pistol as carried by the RCMP-the Mounties for years. It has a lanyard ring and strong cord. It will not be
lost in the snow or fail to function-for six rounds.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....