Originally Posted by Frontiersman
A .30-30, especially when hand loaded, can be used for anything from squirrels on up.

This is the obvious and most sensible answer. But I think if I get a 30-30 I want a more specific, harder to find rifle. Although the standard Marlins are generally cheap and widely available enough that I wouldn't mind altering one to my specific wants and needs.

Something along the lines of an 18" barreled 336 SC with the thin forend and Texan buttstock would be about ideal in my eyes. Which would take a bit of cutting and/or bending and stuff to get. I don't think they ever made one in this configuration.

Or I might take a chance on really liking a Winchester 94 AE in either standard or trapper. Although the first time I ever cycled the action on one it really freaked me out. I thought I broke it..
I think they had a take-down model called the Trails End or something like that with an 18" barrel and a gentle pistol grip. But that's probably more of a safe queen status price-wise than the shooter that I would want.

Last edited by DollarShort; 02/11/18.