Originally Posted by DollarShort

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just get some kind of ball powder that might double for 223 if I get into that. Something like W748, CFE223, or Leverevolution, as I'd like to keep it simple.

Although I did read about some kind of flake powder for plinking loads with light boolits that I might give a try. I'll have to do some more research as I don't recall exactly what it was. Read about it when I was originally thinking about using Trail Boss, but the reviews I read weren't good on the TB.

I've never tried Trail Boss, but I've never seen the need. Any flake pistol powder can be used in 30-30 cases to produce good results with the right bullet. I like Unique and Blue Dot, but H110 or 4227 also work well. My favorite powder for 2000-2200 with 115's is 4227. The H110 pressure curve is very steep, meaning that things go from mild to tops in a couple grains. I don't like the volatility, but I've gotten great results from it in regard to accuracy. It doesn't beat 4227 though, and 4227's pressure curve is far more flat. 4198 is another great one. And 3031. And Reloder 7. I've not tried CFE or Lever with cast bullets, but they are excellent with jacketed bullets, and my favorites, producing top speeds and excellent accuracy. My brother swears by 748 for jacketed and cast bullets 150-200gr. It was the powder my father used as well. 748 seems to be the perfect burn rate for the 30-30 case and its lower MAP.
There is plenty of pistol powder data out there for the 30-30. www.castpics.net is a place I often glance at for loading data that is tested. If you go to the Reloaders Reference tab, scroll down to Cast Bullet Data Lookup, and then select "30/30" (not "30-30") from the drop-down menu, there are many loads listed that correlate with Lyman's and RCBS's cast bullet data, as well as that of gun writers and powder manufacturers.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.