had so much fun with the .17 Rem couple weekends ago that I decided to take her out again this morning. I knew the day was going to be short because the wind was forecast to start by or before noon.
2nd stand of the morning got a "two of a kind" pair to come lookin for a fight. Both male. Shot one at 100 yards and #2 at 165 yards.
[Linked Image]DSCN1373 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Then on my 3rd stand I decided to start with good ol rabbit and didn't take long to have another pair rolling in. They got separated quite a ways as one was charging and the other hung back to survey the situation. Almost couldn't get the charger stopped but finally about 40 yards out she did. Hit her but she spun and was on a death sprint back out but only made it about 30 yards before she rolled up. Guess her mate thought she had rolled the rabbit because he then came charging right on it. Dropped him there with her at about 75 yards.
[Linked Image]DSCN1374 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
Made two more stands before the wind sent me packin for the house. As I was tootling along the highway I spotted a mangy sucker standing not 100 yards off the road. Upon a closer look I noticed a 2nd coyote laying down next to the mangy sucker. Just so happens they were only 400 yards from a ranch house and it's a ranch that I can hunt. So I turned around and went back and talk to the rancher, and of course he told me to "go get em". Was an easy stalk since there was a big ditch that brought me to within about 75 yards of em and plenty of wind so no worries that they'd hear me. When I came out of the ditch, there was more grass then I thought and I couldn't see them. So I got set up with my shooting sticks and did a couple voice howls. #1 stood up and I dropped her at about 75 yards. Mr. mangy made a dash for the hills but found out he couldn't out run the bullet. Turns out the female was missing a front leg. When I got back to the ranch house and talked to the rancher he told me he had shot a leg off of one a couple years ago. Bet this was her. Both were old coyotes with badly worn teeth. Both got left behind.
[Linked Image]DSCN1375 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.