358WSM,
Man no shortage of opinions and some experience here in your posting. Here my 2 cents for the what it's worth department.
Well I might have missed it, but are looking to hunt bear or are you looking more for protection? Reading your first posting sounded like more towards protection. If thats the case than a fast pointing rifle is the ticket..... First off I've found over the years that tried and true is the way to go. Hard to beat a 375 HH, yea there are newer stuff like the Ruger,and I'm sure it's a fine cartridge, but, for teeth and claws, go with the one that has been working, and working very well for almost a century (1925). A former Charter Captain and fish guide that worked for me for 11 years only carries a 375 HH when he's Bear Guiding on Kodiak. My brother has a Sako carbine that he's thinking of selling, I don't think he's ever taken it out of the box from when I gave it to him 30 years ago. If intreasted let me know and I'll ask him.
BUT... For the up close and personal, I would go with the 45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo. I used to take customers to shore off our long range charters in Prince William Sound and I carried a custom Remington 660 rebarelled to a 458x2 American along with a 5.5" Ruger 480. Finely went to a 50 Alaskan built on a Browning 71. We had customers in along bear streams lots.
I only hunted big Bear once when my Father and Brother insisted on it, I carried a custom 458 mag built for my move to Alaska 45 years ago. Nice gun, but, 45" long, 11 pounds loaded with a Lyman peep. Carrying that monster through the alders was what made me build the 660, 458x2, 7.75 pounds, 38" with a Leopold 1x4. Can't personally see a good reason to hunt big bears. But, there are times when you can find one close in and unexpected. Fast and big makes me feel better. So the question is are you hunting or just wanting to feel more comfortable?
John