Originally Posted by rj308
Last year, early fall, on a driven boar hunt, I was charged by a large brown bear. I was holding my M70 in 308 Win. I hollered (probably sounded more like a woman screaming) and he turned away at 3 yards and ran off. The woods was pretty thick in that area and I did not see him coming at me until he was around 15 yards away. I should have started shooting immediately when I saw him. In that situation, with a bolt gun, I would be lucky to get 2 shots off at the bear before he was on me. Since then, I don't mind using that 308 or my 7x57, after the leaves have dropped and I have good visibility, but in those close places, I want to be holding my 9.3x62, 30-06 or 870. I take blood thinners so if a bear slaps me good with a paw, I'll bleed out before before someone can get me to a hospital. And here in Romania, emergency services and hospitals aren't what they are in the states. RJ

No shame screaming like a woman if that is all it takes. Nothing scares me away faster than a woman screaming at me either grin

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)