Originally Posted by 60n148w
As I understand it your going to pound Nails in the Summer and run Traps in the winter,regardless of what rifle you get to shoo Bears away,it will most likely hang on pegs in your 12 by 16 Cabin. I would be more concerned with the one you’re going to carry on your line,as Art has said light is your friend. How will it stand up in and out of its carry scabbard,what are you going to do with it at night,leave it outside or take it inside.

You’re post reflect that recoil is not a major concern,I would take a few more pounds of recoil and shave a couple pounds off my rifle, especially if my Machine had a malfunction and I had to Snowshoe back to my Cabin.

Just a couple of thoughts, best to you in your endeavors.

60n148w,

Thank you for the couple of thoughts. And thank you also for sending your best.

You wrote, " As I understand it..."
Yes Sir, You understand it correctly....the part about "pounding nails...running traps..." and such.

Concerning the pegs in the 12x16 laugh As I see it, I will be hanging a 20" Barreled Winchesterbbard 97. It currently wears a ramp sight blade/bead, a Williams receiver serves for the rear sight, and being that it is tubed It lends it's self. That one will be kept inside.
For personal carry, doing chores around camp, a 5 1/2" barreled Redhawk in 44 Mag (like to aquire one once I arrive) will be carried.

Out making sets and doing checks, a 22 for dispatch would be holstered in the sled box. And before den up, I'll sling my Savage 99 TD in 300 Sav when getting off the sno go. Once back on, it'll slide into a scabbard under and behind my right leg on the ski doo. Irons sights for obvious reasons. Maybe at some point I'll want to find a Marlin that thumps a little harder to replace it with, but for now I'll dance with who brung ya. The Savage fits me, the thump of the rifle butt against my shoulder, and sight alignment happens simultaneously, and the lever trumps any of my bolts when it comes to follow up shooting. Heavies for close work. And, as Art suggested, it isn't heavy.

For exclusively hunting, what I have I'll use, another lightweight rifle, and for now that looks to be a Tikka T3x in 270 WSM. Again, that is what I have and so, yada, yada, yada. And again, that will be kept outside during the season it will get used.

These rifles and scenarios, are of course, subject to change.
A stainless model 70 or model 77 in 35 Whelen pushing 250's and dropped into a McEdge would be an example, and a friendly companion for that long walk back to the cabin.

I Really liked your post.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)