Lots of good info in these replies, but the OP specifically wanted a elk "timber" round. In my experience, where shot angles go from OK to Texas heart shots, heavy/premium bullets are the only ones to consider. Any of the .338 swift a-frames would work (225, 250, 275). I would lean towards the 275 grainer. Woodleighs in 300 grain would be a safe bet, also. Barnes X bullets have their followers too.....I use to be one, until I experienced a failure with one. Heavy for caliber trophy bonded bear claws would be a great choice, also. I'm a huge accubond fan, but wouldn't use them in a dedicated timber rifle. My long range elk rifle is a 338 rum, running 225 grain accubonds....and it's pure death on elk and African plains game, but only used in the "open"!

My go to elk timber rifle has always been a 375 H&H with 300 grain swift a-frames, with a 1.5x5 Leupold. I recently did an 06 rebore to 35 Whelen, in a Remington 7600 for the same application, running 310 grain woodleighs in it. Again, with a 1.5x5 Leupold on it. I've only killed coyotes and a whitetail with it so far.....so I can't tell you how it handles elk, but I bet it will! BTW, sighted in at +2" at 100 yds, it's -3" at 200. Thats easy minute of elk, at any range you'll run into, in the dark timber, and then some.

That's what works for me. Andy3