I've intentionally not weighed in on this thread while discussion was occurring because I liked the discourse - civil, passionate, very good discussion.

I did opine on timber hunting and was thinking similar to what Andy was conveying. Sounds like he and I find elk in the same places and hunt the same way. 100 yards and hour is not an exaggeration, at least for me. I've smelled elk before I saw them.

That said Starman is also correct because I did leave it wide open because I have zero experience with any 338 caliber cartridges on elk. I've shot a few deer with 338 WM and 250 Partitions - just because. Pretty sure I wasn't undergunned.

I'm also not inclined to do the Texas heartshot thing. I've passed up more than a few on some nice bulls. If you fail to center a bullet between the hams and hit one of the hams, you basically ruined 75 lbs of meat. I've shot a couple of previously wounded deer that way and it crumples them but wastes alot of meat. Plus I've been able to avoid that shot and still manage to find an elk about every year that cooperates with a nice broadside or quartering away shot. <G>

I really appreciate the discussion and the views posted. I've learned more about 338 caliber bullets in this thread than I would have learned in 20 years of trial and error. On my list of bullets to try are Swift SC II 210, Nosler 210 NPT, Nosler 225 NPT, 225 NAB, and likely the Sierra PH 225. I'll do some water jug, wet newspaper, clay bank testing and see what holds together and my rifle prefers.

The 225 Sierra wasn't mentioned by alot but they have the same velocity window as the 30 cal, 180 PH (1900-3100). I run the 180 in my 308 at 2575-2600. I've shot a few deer with that combo and its tough to catch a bullet. I did catch one last year from a frontal shot. Found the bullet in the ham - expanded well, retained 78% of its weight. My Kimber 308 lobs them into 0.5-0.75 inch groups. A 338-06 likely run the 225 a 100 ft/sec faster but doubt that will turn it into a grenade. I suspect my rifle will like the flat base Sierra - haven't found too many rifles that didn't shoot a flat base sierra fairly well.

Anyone have a 338-06 dummy round with the bullets I mentioned? I'd like to figure out the geometry between the longest OAL to fit in my magazine (3.400), bullet ogive, and chamber accordingly. I suspect the Swift 210 SCII or the 225 NAB have the longest bullet and associated ogive. I'll put a WTB in the classifieds and see if I get any interest.

Any other thoughts/ideas - throw 'em on the table!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.