Originally Posted by handwerk
Ok so not really a long range question, but since some of you know your way around ballistic calculators...

If my max range is 425 yards or so, hunting deer and elk which Barnes TTSX would better serve me assuming my rifle shoots them the same with regards to accuracy?

150g BC of 420 @3000 fps

168g BC of 470 @ 2850 fps

Recoil should be about the same. I know they both will work, but if I'm going to invest the time and energy to work up loads this will help me get started.

thanks

Funny you posted this question, because I have been researching the exact same thing as I pondered loading up some TTSX for a future elk hunt. Based on my assumed numbers (pretty much identical to yours), I came to the conclusion that it doesn't make a nickles worth of difference to any sane hunting distance. The 150 will be faster from 0-350 yards, but both are plenty fast enough to work. From 350 to 450, they are within 25 fps, so it's negligible. And beyond that where the 168 is faster, I've got no business shooting an elk and if I did shoot one that far, I'd rather have a different bullet.