luv2safari,

NOPE, I've not tried & likely won't try Trail Boss in the '88 anytime soon, as a I've recently bought 5# of Red Dot & 3# of Varget, cheap (I prowl the garage & estate sales, looking for bargains.) & 10 grains of RD seems to work FINE in this particular rifle.
Fwiw, I'm trying to get permission to use the antique rifle at a local military maneuver area to take feral pigs & HOPEFULLY an Axis buck. ====> Post regulations limit the use of modern CF rifles to "lottery drawing winners" for WT deer during the reservation's deer season.
The rest of the year, several sorts of small game & "invasive species" can be lawfully taken with shotguns (with shot smaller than #4), .22RF, "traditional" muzzleloading rifles up to .58 caliber & archery equipment by Active Duty, Active Reserve, serving ANG/ARNG & retired military personnel.
ONLY those "classes" of authorized military personnel "may enter or remain within" the facility at any time, except by "special exception to policy", i.e., field trips by students, who are guided by Range Control officers.
(There are LOTS of both invasive species on the reservation.)

IF permission to use a pre-1898 antique rifle out there (with lead cast bullets) is granted by the supervisor of Range Control, I'll probably go up to the 13 grains of "The Load" by C.E. Harris, which is fully equal to the pre-WWI "high speed" .32-40WCF behind my homebrewed CB, i.e., about 1550FPS out of that long 29" military barrel.
(In my request for "an exception to policy", I pointed out that a cast lead bullet of 200 grains is "no more powerful" & no more likely to cause a range safety problem than a .58 caliber Minie Ball out of a WBTS rifled musket and/or a .22LR cartridge is.)
From up in one of the permanent "elevated tower-stands", the old '88 should take pigs/Axis out to 100M+, as from "way up there", you can see over/through certain areas of the thick brush.
(At ground level you cannot see game more than 20-50M. - YEP, the brush really is THAT thick.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05/11/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836