I spent a lot of time down there over the years. Other than the historical stuff, Charleston itself is not my style. Anytime you get a spot gone tourist and metropolitan, you lose the Southern in it. My favorite three restaurants down there are not actually in Charleston.

Melvin's in Mt. Pleasant for BBQ is #1. BBQ came through this part of the country first. Immigrants to SC perfected it with mustard sauce.

Seewee's is a trip out to Awendaw for seafood. If you want to check she-crab soup off the list, Seewee's is the spot to do it. The Seewee Center probably still has red wolves to look at. Take a gander before they're completely extinct.

Third on the list is Jack's Cosmic Dogs. While the first two were specific to the area , Jack's is just good. Blue cheese slaw dogs and fresh cut fries in peanut oil? Can't beat it with a stick.

There would be a fourth, but Gullah Cuisine closed. There are other soul food establishments in the area, but they tend more toward Southern soul food than representing Gullah food. Still, don't skip one advertising Gullah cuisine if you see it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s