Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I spent a lot of time down there over the years. Other than the historical stuff, Charleston itself is not my style. Anytime you get a spot gone tourist and metropolitan, you lose the Southern in it. My favorite three restaurants down there are not actually in Charleston.

Melvin's in Mt. Pleasant for BBQ is #1. BBQ came through this part of the country first. Immigrants to SC perfected it with mustard sauce.

Seewee's is a trip out to Awendaw for seafood. If you want to check she-crab soup off the list, Seewee's is the spot to do it. The Seewee Center probably still has red wolves to look at. Take a gander before they're completely extinct.

Third on the list is Jack's Cosmic Dogs. While the first two were specific to the area , Jack's is just good. Blue cheese slaw dogs and fresh cut fries in peanut oil? Can't beat it with a stick.

There would be a fourth, but Gullah Cuisine closed. There are other soul food establishments in the area, but they tend more toward Southern soul food than representing Gullah food. Still, don't skip one advertising Gullah cuisine if you see it.

This man is in the know except for the BBQ, everyone here knows BBQ is vinegar not mustard, it will do when vinegar is not available. Rodney Scotts BBQ downtown is good, Seewee Resturant is great, it's 3 miles from my hunting club.Isle of Palm and Sullivan's Island both have good beaches 15 minutes north in Mt Pleasant.

Jack's Comic Dog is good, shame Gullah closed, but one of my favorites is The Wreck, lots of locals, cash only and located at Shem Creek,Red's and Water's Edge were good last time I ate there.

From high$$$ to low $

Husk
Magnolias
Hymans
Hanks
Seewee Resuarant
The Wreck of Richard and Charlene
Rodney Scotts
Cosmic Dog

Fort Sumter, Pariots Point has a Viet Nam fire base replica and the MOH museum, and the Yorktown aircraft carrier along with a sub and 2 more naval ships.

Hunley is at the naval Base in N. Charleston .

Osceola's grave at the fort on Sllivan's island.

If you want to fish inshore call Haddrells Point tackle shop, Mike Able and his son are both guides, or call The Charleston Angler and ask for a recommendation, lot'sof guides, can't recommend any but the Ables and Capt. Fritz. I fish myself there with no guide and do very well. Lot's of the offshore boats are tied up with the Governor's Cup billfish tourney right now. Teaser II with Mark Brown is good for deep water snapper and grouper, some dolphin and tuna.

Hope it is a pleasant trip for you and your family, I am sure I have left some things out and didn't agree with everything mentioned here but everyone had great suggestions. Hopefully ya'll will be here long enough to enjoy the hospitality the Low Country has to offer. I certainly appreciate being raised and living there for many, many years until a transfer to the upstate, but return every chance to hunt and fish.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers