Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's as easy as falling off a bar stool to duplicate the original gov't load of 220 grain bullet/2000fps using 210-220 grain cast bullets, with a bullet soft enough to expand beautifully and not lead the bore.

Note: don't try to exceed that 220gr./ 2000fps level in a Krag. The Army tried it by increasing to 2200 fps and started getting a bunch of cracked locking lugs, whereupon they dropped back to 2000fps. It was plenty good against Spaniards and Moros, and earned a reputation for being big medicine in the game fields too.

I had a box of 220 grain Hornady RN bullets that I was trying for accuracy. I have concerns regarding "a bullet soft enough to expand beautifully". I've Dyna Bore coated almost every one of my rifles, got a couple lever and slide action yet to do. But the Krag has the coating. The barrel is fairly new and looks good to my aging eyes.

I have several molds in 30 caliber and I'm hoping my new 1898 Krag will be a cast bullet shooter. My goal is ~~ 1,800 fps with 180 to 220 grain bullets.

Question, "Will straight wheel weight bullets fill the "a bullet soft enough to expand beautifully" requirement at those speeds?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally