Thanks for that info.
I finally got back to the 30 Army.

First the sight height was too short. I found a beat up sight that I did some file work on. It isn’t a craft grade sight, but it seemed to be right.
I didn’t have an extensive appropriate jacketed bullets on hand. My sizing die for my cast bullets is .309. I guess I could have tried them or I could have shot unsized. But I thought I’d try j-bullets.
First I had 220 grain rn Hornady that I was pretty sure wasn’t going to be used for anything else. I went to Ken Waters Pet loads and looked at an older Lyman Manual. Ken’s load was the starting load in the manual. So, I thought that would be a place to start. Group size was unacceptable. I have a few boxes of Hornady 180 IL’s. I tried them. Wasn’t happy. I have a few hundred 170 gr Remington CL’s - probably for 30-30.
I looked in some manuals and found a load labeled “likely most accurate” load. The group was narrow but was stringing up and down. The sun was in a poor position for iron sights I reasoned and it did seem that I had a little difficulty with glare off the front sight, even though I had filed it, I thought appropriately. Then I decided to go to 50 yards where there is a nice shade tree. I held best I could, 3 shots only, did I say it was in the high 90’s and humid?
I walked up to the target. 5/8” group, 50 yards, 3 shots. grin

I’m ok with that. grin

I needed to correct windage 6 MOA to the right. Took it to the shop and adjusted the sights about .04”.

When it’s cooler. I will work on it some more. BTW: all loads utilized IMR4350 and all loads are not hot or even warm.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/27/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally