Thanks, I do have some 50/50 solder and I add some at times.

I have a 180 gr mold, RN (I shoot paper) out of an ‘03. I may have lost my 170 gr HP mold, I have not seen it for quite a while. I think I may have lent it to someone. However, that 170 gr bullet mold may have been my brother’s, it’s been around for awhile. My two older brothers shot and killed deer easily with them in the 50’s and early 60’s when deer were not as tough as they are today. NOE has a sale on molds that ends I think today. I may have to order new one, I like their molds, a lot.

This rifle has an after market barrel, which leads me to believe it should have a tighter chamber/bore than the military version. I think it has a long throat though since the J-bullet that by far shot the best was the 170 gr CL RN 30-30 bullet. It had the widest/flattest nose, if that’s the correct way to describe it. The 220gr had a fairly narrow nose, I suspect it was designed to fit in a barrel, riding on the rifling with barrels that have a more ‘standard’ throat, and of course the IL bullet was a spire point.

I have quite a few 180 gr bullets cast and sized to .309. I may load some today just as an experiment. I’m pretty sure I have some that have not been sized too. I think I’ll lube them, add a gc and try them too. They were cast years ago, I suspect they were cast with WW’s and maybe some solder added, I don’t know.

Anybody have a favorite jacketed bullet for their Krag?

Last edited by Bugger; 05/28/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally