Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My introduction to the 6.5CM was via a $300 Howa Lightning. The first 3 shot group through it was .4 at a 100 yds. Says a lot for a cheap rifle.

If the stocks work for you, the Howa 1500s are probably the best buy of rifles selling in the sub-$400 market niche.

I bought a Howa 1500 from SAS at Whittaker's for around $350 delivered, but, the stock didn't fit me particularly well, so I swapped one of the surplus V2 stocks onto it and that small change was a significant improvement for me in terms of ergs. With "as new" V2 stocks regularly selling for between $50 and $75 on eBay, the Howa 1500 with the V2 stock upgrade makes it, IMO, a better value than the RAR-P in the sub-$500 market niche if for no other reason than the lack of sub-$100 stock options for the RAR-P.

That's what I did. I bought a Vanguard stock from the classifieds on here. The original Howa Houge stock pretty much sucks, and the LOP doesn't suit me, and I'm not a short guy, being 6 foot. The new stock fits ne better, although I'm not a fan of that style stock. As much as I like Howa's, I have never understood why they make them so heavy.

As far as a comparison between the Howa and a Ruger American, it's not close as far as I'm concerned. The Howa is a much better made rifle.