I have been fortunate to have owned dozens of 22 firearms ( in the past near 40 years) probably like many of you. So, I will call 22 LR ownership a journey. Buy/trade for one. Shoot it. Evaluate it. Keep it or trade it for something else. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I hope all 22 LR rifle owners have the opportunity to own and SHOOT A TRULY ACCURATE 22. Something with some heft and barrel hang. There is just something special about shooting a sub-1/2” group at something like 50 yards.

A “ must have” 22 LR rifle for accuracy? Pick one. Ones that I have owned/shot include: CZ-452 American, Anschutz 1411 ( 54 action), Rem 540xr, Marlin 880 SQ, Win 310, Marlin model 60 ( still own all of those).

Others I sold: Win 75 target, Win 69a ( gave to my niece), Marlin 39a ( gave to my other niece), Rem 521, 510, 511,580, 37, Mossberg 144 , Rem fieldmaster, Savage 22/410, Erma bolt military trainer ( brother has it), Ruger 10/22, and several others. I have enjoyed the journey.-hope to play with a couple more of them.

Townsend Whelan wrote, “Only accurate guns are intetesting”. He has a point.

Side note: research the writings of Don Lewis. He wrote for Pennsylvania Gun News for decades (1960s- 1980s?, 1990s+?),and many other magazines. I remember an article he wrote in the 1977 Gun Digest ( dark blue cover with flintlock rifles on the cover- still remember it). He wrote an article about squirrel hunting with accurate 22 rifles. He liked an Anschutz model 64 medium weight target rifle with a 6x Unertl. He had accuracy results of about a dozen 22 rifles shooting different ammo. He praised the accuracy he got from standard velocity ammo instead of HV ammo. That article got me going on 22 rifles for hunting. Great article, try to find it.

Last edited by buttstock; 06/04/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."