Short answer is

Start with a single shot rifle - no scope! - so that you develop focus and marksmanship. Keep one around for the rest of your life.

For "blue collar" guns:

A Ruger MkII (any model with adjustable sights) will do whatever you want to do with it for as long as you choose to do it. There are plenty of other good 22 pistols out there, but thats the "must own" one to me. Opinions will vary 👍

For a bolt - again, many good ones. In torn between the Remington 58X series and the CZ 45X guns. I like th CZ better in general especially the American models but the Remingtons are consistently top notch shooters as well and definitely cost less.

For semi auto rifles - NOT an OEM 10-22. My must owns are a Remington 552 and the Nylon 66, for different reasons.

For when you're ready to invest a bit more in your passion:

A Smith 41. They really are something.

For a bolt, I would say a Kimber sporter like the Cascade, or a 64 action Anschutz sporter.

For an auto, it really has to be the 10-22. There is no end to what you can do with it, and building one up just adds to the fun.
I have 1 upgraded 10-22 and it is the best shooting rimfire I have ever owned. Probably took $1,000 to get it there though. And I still want a Kidd trigger.

And last but definitely not least, the "just for fun" guns:

Any sort of lever (for me its a Winchester 9422 by a hair over the Marlin & Browning) or a pump. Throw in a single action revolver like the Ruger or Uberti's and go tear up some cans. Walk the woods and take home some squirrels. Teach a kid. Whatever. All that ammo youve been hoarding isn't gonna shoot itself. lol

And at some point, go buy yourself a good old Winchester or Remington bolt gun. Just so you know what's missing from the common injection molded ammo cyclers being sold today. There's nothing actually wrong with them, but boy have they lost their soul.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....