I guess my question wasn't clear. There's a lot of answers to other questions, which I didn't intend on asking.

I have an 1898 Krag manufactured in 1899 (with an after market barrel). The accuracy is phenominal for about three shots. Then the accuracy goes Democrat, so to speak. I've shot this several times and the first shots with a cool barrel very good ~ 1 MOA or there abouts with selected loads. (IMR4350 170 grain 30-30 bullets)

My theory is that when the barrel heats the POI changes dramatically since depending on how fast I shoot, the latter shots can bring the group size to 12 MOA or there abouts.

I'm not worried about corrosion, erosion, etc. I do not plan on using this rifle as a bench rest rifle, but plan on hunting with it. I'm not going to shoot enough rounds through this rifle to wear it out. I suspect that I will eventually shoot only cast bullets in it, which I suspect will not heat the barrel nearly as fast as the jacketed loads. I was thinking about using a cast bullet approximately 200 grains and hollow point with the largest diameter bullet that will not interfere with chambering. Cast bullets, at least for me take quite a bit more trial and error than jacketed and I will do this in the next month or two, hopefully,

I feel that the way the barrel and the stock mate on a Krag isn't the best design for placing shots in the same location as the barrel heats.

I've now glass bedded the action and the fore-end tip. There now is a snug fitting front band. But this still is no Remington 700. I noticed that where the front action screw (front trigger screw) there was a gap bewteen the stock and the bottom of the action, which is now filled with glass.

I've not shot the rifle since glass bedding - too many projects.

Finally since this isn't a perfect gas, but is a chemical reaction I do not believe that pressure and heat created by the reaction to be linear with different powders, but I may be wrong.

My question was regarding to temperatures and powders.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/08/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally