Originally Posted by rj308
Dirtfarmer, The stock was from Richards micro-fit. Micro-fit, my ass. The barreled action would not begin to fit into the stock and the outside was more like a blank. Anyway, first round, it turned out to be a much larger stock than I wanted. I put it back into the original Mohawk hardwood stock and hunted it for the next 20 years. I finally got the walnut stock out slimmed and whittled it down to my liking, oil finished it, put an ebony fore end tip on it and sent it off for checkering.

bigj, I'm absolutely sure it is a Mohawk, it does have it stamped on the action. When I bought it in 1974 for $149, before shooting it, I stripped down the barreled action and sent it off to Marker Machine Company in Charleston, Illinois and had the bore, chamber and bolt hard chromed. When I shot it after that, it would shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups with my hand loads and has ever since. Factory loads usually shoot under an inch. And the bore cleans with only a few strokes. RJ

Richards "micro-fit" is anything but.;;

They do have a nice selection of wood and styles, but their in-letting looks like something done by a drunk beaver... Worst in-letting I've ever seen.

Too bad we can't have Richards wood and style selections with Boyd in-letting...

Oh well...

That's a nice stock, even though it took a bunch of work.

DF