I remember reading a Bob Milek article in Guns and Ammo decades ago where he took a Remington 600 in .308 and customized it. He cut off the vent rib, I believe fashioned a bolt release, and put it in a Mannlicher stock. It was my dream rifle. I carried the magazine with the article thru several moves. Eventually, I left a principal’s job and my teachers thought enough of me to give $300 as a going away present and a small Browning fixed blade belt knife. Bill Ruger, by then, had come out with his Ruger tang safety RSIs and I found a VG used one in .308 for exactly $300 no tax at my local gun store. I bought it and still have it. The 3 boys are fighting over which one gets it after my demise! I did briefly own a Rem 600 in .243. It was a deer killing machine. Only dislikes were the vent rib, stock, lack of bolt release, and the cheap plastic trigger guard. I remarried, had a heart attack 6 months later, and could not work for 3 months. I had to sell it to pay bills. Still like a .243 to this day and would like to find another. Bought one of the Weatherby Vanguards in .243 at Wally World when they had them for $249; but decided to give it to my only 13 year old grandson for Christmas as his first CF rifle.
Still looking for a good used quality scope for it.