Originally Posted by greydog
Generally speaking, I feel that no country should be exporting raw materials and this especially applies to Canada. There was, perhaps, some reason for this trade when Canada lacked the population and infrastructure and much of the early developement was paid for by the export of raw materials and the developement of industry by foriegn (usually American) corporations. Today, we are capable of refining any of the raw materials we export. There is absolutely no reason, for instance, for Canada to allow the export of raw logs while importing paper and construction materials. There are so many aspects to trade inequalities that it is unlikely that anyone will ever address them all. Subsidization of industries via tax breaks, forgiveable loans, market manipulation and outright gifts, occurs on both sides of the border. In the end, my concern is only what the effect might be on the end user because that is me. GD

Your example is one that fits the keep raw materials and develop the labor approach. That works for a lot of stuff, but what if whatever you are making needs a little of this and a little of that to complete the product and you don't have any domestically? Take lithium for rechargeable batteries. If the country has no lithium, do you abandon the technology or trade for it?

Some countries have little in natural resources but have smart and industrious labor that is added value. The US and Canada are blessed with many natural resources and it has made both countries wealthy along with the hard work of the people. Not all are so fortunate and find other ways to compensate. Trade gets complicated with the subsidizations and trickery and we can agree that hurts us all.