Originally Posted by Diesel
I was wondering what Canadians think about Trudeau in general, and his latest position on tariffs? Any thoughts

As a paid up card carrying Conservative, I can tell you Trump is turning me and plenty of others into Liberals and proud Canadians with our backs up. I spent the entire weekend listening to US news channels on my sat radio and boy is the story ever twisted down south and missing half the information needed for any sane critical thinking.

I find the campfire forum disgusting.................everyone falling all over themselves congratulating Trump for being a boor. His tweet was even all wrong, Trudeau didnt say he would not be pushed around, but that Canadians wouldn't be pushed around. I doubt any Canadian in this room will argue with Trudeau on this point. Nothing in the press release was new news. He simply said he was putting tariffs on steel imported from the US in response to the US imposing tarrifs on imported Canadian Steel. The insult was not even the tariff, but the lame national security threat as the reason. This reason was used only because otherwise it would have been illegal under the US drafted WTO rules.

Fact, Canada is the biggest purchaser and consumer of US goods. That means to most people we are your biggest customer. Thirty six states rely on Canada to take the biggest share of their production. The US is also the biggest purchaser of Canadian goods and services. The trade between the two is almost balanced with the US having sold us slightly more than we sold you last year. This would be your presidents definition of a WIN. This man makes no sense and everyone except he knows it. Your congress is in utter fear of this moron that went bankrupt 4 times. It is obvious why.

For instance, just a few months ago, the US imposed a 300% duty on Canadian aircraft in a bid to kill a sale to Delta, a few months before that it was Canadian lumber. So now the US gov is taxing every 2x4 going into new US home construction.

Yes we have a milk quota system, (kind of like the US has one for sugar) but we still purchaser billions of dollars of US dairy production. The US over produces milk because the US gov subsidizes (pays US farmers) to produce milk. Now somehow its our problem because we dont want it dumped in Canada. Dont forget the US had a trade surplus with Canada in dairy product of something like 400,000,000 last year alone. Now lets not bring up the long standing 300 percent tarif the US has on Canadian tobacco, or that the US pays billions to your farmers to grow corn.We call that a subsidy, dont know what they call it down there. No wonder the rest of the world rolls their eyes when getting lectured about tarifs when the US is so blind to their own.

Back to steel, your supreme leader imposes tarrisf on Canadian steel and aluminum under a BS rule then gets outraged when we do the same. The really funny part is Canada sells more steel to the US than anyone else, BUT we buy even more from the US than we sell to you, for our needs.So when the tarrifs start to bounce back it the US workers that will be feeling the pain too. Ditto US farmers.

I challenge everyone in this room to boycott all things made in the US, until your president finds another punching bag. As a Canadian I take it personally just the way Trump meant it. Today Trump added a threat to our economy.

I invite any American to point out exactly where we are taking advantage of you. And regardless of the anti Trudeau sentiment in here................for the record all the Canadian politicians have declared their support for our PM because its the RIGHT THING TO DO........................something no longer being done in the US.

Last edited by tangozulu; 06/12/18.