I sold my SKS many years ago and always wanted another 7.62x39 for budget-friendly fun shooting.

So I ordered one of the uppers from PSA. Seemed like a pretty fair deal for $279 shipped, with charging handle, bolt carrier group, and the enhanced firing pin. Still, it was with a little trepidation that I ordered this upper, since I had done a fair amount of online research and not all the results are glowing.

I put the upper on a lower I pulled off another rifle. Trigger group is all milspec. I opted the rifle buffer/recoil system as I figured that has to be the easiest on the bolt, and there are stories out there of broken off lugs.

I didn't do any serious accuracy work today, as the weather is kind of blustery. Mainly I just wanted to do a function check on the rifle/magazines/ammo.

Magazines are AR-Stoner from Midway. I have a couple 30-rounders on backorder, and the 10-rounders that were in stock. These are marked ASC on the follower.

Ammo is Tula 124gr FMJ from PSA.

First test was one round in the magazine to check bolt lockback on the last round. That worked fine.

Second test was a full 10 round magazine for feeding and other function. I only put 9 rounds in the magazine as it got really stiff on the last round. But everything functioned 100%.

I put a box at 50 yards for a target, and shot sitting on my butt, leaning back against the truck tire, elbows on knees. Not real stable in the 10-25 mph wind, but I did my best and put a rough 50/200 yard zero on the scope. After zeroing I busted some cantaloupe sized rocks out around 200 yards..

Later I'll get it out with a bipod and do some tangible accuracy testing at 100 yards with 124gr FMJ, and the 154gr soft point.

Here's a pic of my rig, target, ammo.

[Linked Image]

I gotta say, I did have fun. The 100% functioning, and the thump of the 7.62x39 put a grin on my face.

If you are shooting 7.62x39, in AR, AK, SKS, boltgun, or....?, feel free to share here.