Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
GoForBroke,

The 7.62x39 has the PA 3X Prism sight with the ACSS reticle calibrated for the 7.62x39 out to 600 yards.

Mine has been feeding flawlessly. I'm using the ASC 20 round magazines.

My odometer just rolled over to 58. No doubt the eyes start to show their age.

How many rounds do you have through the 7.62 x 39 AR now? Its an intriguing project with the inexpensive ammo prices at 18 cents a round. You just got the PSA upper and put it on a std lower correct?

Yes a PSA upper. I have around 600 rounds or so through mine. Never hiccup'd.

From what I learned doing some research before diving into the 7.62x39 AR-15, there are two likely problem areas one may run into.

1 - Light firing pin strikes causing failure to fire. The fix is twofold. First you need a heavy hammer strike, so milspec trigger is one way to assure that. Secondly, some x39 ammo has hard primers that are sometimes seated a tad below flush. The fix for that is an "enhanced" firing pin. The enhancement is that it is a bit longer. The PSA upper comes with the BCG/CH, and already has the enhanced firing pin in it.

2 - Magazine troubles, failure to feed. Sometimes this is nothing more than people using 223/5.56 magazines, and of course they fail if loaded with more than 4-5 rounds. The fix I read mostly was to go with ASC magazines, in particular the 20 rounders. I have a couple of the ASC-20's, they have been flawless. I did buy a couple 10-round AR-Stoner magazines from Midway, and the followers are marked ASC. I don't know if ASC makes them for AR-Stoner, but they have worked fine too.

So, in a nutshell, you want an enhanced firing pin, milspec trigger, and ASC 20round mags.

A couple other things,

I'm running a H3 buffer also. It worked with the standard buffer, but I could feel it thumping the back of the extension tube pretty good. The H3 smoothed it out.

Also I put the UTG Pro quad rail handguards on the upper.