Originally Posted by Beaver10
Las, that was a crazy situation you found yourself in with that Sow and cubs. Cubs can sure create a bad situation with their curiosity at times. It’s unbelievable how fast a bear can go from lumbering along, to a full charge and cover ground in seconds.

Does anyone really know if bear spray works? So many stats say, yes, it’s a great deterrent; where other reports say it’s not. Just curious. Since you all live amongst the big bears. What’s real and what’s BS? 😎
I watched an episode of "I WAS PREY" the other night and it had a story of a fellow (Todd Orr I believe) I Montana who was a seasoned outdoorsman and was out scouting for elk. He was attacked by a grizzly sow with cubs. He managed to get off a shot of bear spray as she was just about to hit him and she went right through the cloud of spray unfazed, at least long enough to do some damage. It did eventually have an affect on her but not enough to deter her from attacking a second time. He was a pretty tough guy, after being attacked twice he managed to walk out on his own, 3 miles to his truck, took some pics of the damage then drove himself to the hospital. He also had a 10mm handgun but wasn't able to use it prior to her attacking him.

So with that said, I won't carry pepper spray and always have a pistol on me when I'm out and about in the wilds of Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead