Originally Posted by las
So, was the bear protecting an earlier kill when it took the hiker, or "protecting" the killed hiker?

Can't trust reporters anymore to get things accurate....

Get careless - or even not- chit happens fast. Really fast! If you haven't been there, don't knock it. .....

In my own case, it was carelessness (and stupidity as well).

She looked a whole lot better at 100 yards going away, than 10 coming in.... Closest passage 9 feet. I've always been shot with luck...

Damn, she was beautiful! (I have the mental image....) Nice lady!

But I think I'll pass next time!

[Linked Image]

Nice lady. That she is.

Mine was as well...

Must have been 2010, west of Talkeetna. We were three in camp - hunting black bear.

Sow and her cups walked right into camp. Our wind in their faces. I had turned towards my tent and was closed to them - about 30 feet, when her and I realized what was happening. A yell and chambering a cartridge into my .45-70 Marlin was met by her turning away 90 degrees and hightailing it. She stopped at about 40 yards when she realized, that her damned cubs were still curious.

By that time the damn things were no more that 30 feet from me. I remember thinking "Come on, mama, straighten them out."

And that she did. You know that sound they make? Snapping their jaw and letting air out? She did that and the cubs got the message quicklike and the train was on its way outbound. Mightyly relieved I was. She was beautiful.

Turned out well. But could have as easily not have...

Last edited by Ready; 06/30/18.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.