I had a similar experience at my first house- I lived in town and had a raccoon in my yard acting strangely. I shot it with a 22 but someone called the police regarding "shots fired" in the area. The cops knew me well as I was on the local volunteer fire department and had worked part time as an officer for 5 years and I was their first stop. I told them what happened, gave them the carcass, and received a short lecture about shooting in town. The animal was clear of rabies but had signs of significant trauma such as being hit by a car.

I now live in the country and rid myself of a good dozen coons a year. If the dogs don't rustle one up then the dog proof traps around the chicken coop take their share. I have two down this week plus one of the skunks that have moved under a shed. This last one is a real bugger, he dug a new exit to avoid the box trap I set for him. I might have to go with leg holds at his exits and hope it doesn't dig a new exit. I would put a can of cat food out in the driveway and shoot le Pue when he came out but that would mean staying up all night waiting and I have too many things going on to do that.