Originally Posted by satx78247
kellory,

That's WHY that I love the old-school commercial MIDLAND, GE & MOTOROLA radios, converted to the FM ham bands.
OR
The REALLY old Motorola & GE "rock-bound" mobiles are STILL USEFUL on industrial frequencies & in DUSTY/rough terrain.

FOR EXAMPLE: The 110W Midland 70 series of industrial transceivers has 80 channels (expandable to 160) & works well on 50-54 & 144-148 MHZ. - PC-programmable, too.

Also, both sorts of mobiles are tougher, as a mobile in a heavy-duty truck/Jeep/PU/car, "than a 2.oo steak".

yours, tex

I had a pair of Motorola transceivers with twistlock batteries that worked well and good range, but might have been an anvil in my pack. Heavy as original sin. I could carry 10 spare radios for less weight and space.

Edit: my company stopped using radios when the last repeater tower locally sold out to become a cell tower. At that time, our range dropped from at least 100miles to 6-8 on a good day. We went to cells.

Last edited by kellory; 07/07/18.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~