Originally Posted by Berettaman
First, go this year. Some how, some way, go this year.

Second, get OnX maps for your phone.

Third, you dont need to go back in 5 miles. 5 miles in the mountains is not the same as 5 miles in Alabama. You will be amazed at how far even 1 mile is in the mountains.
I would target a spike camp 2-3 miles maximum from the vehicle. A lot of people have talked about how big they are....believe them. Typically it is 4 trips for the meat and another for the head if you shoot a bull you want to mount. One thing to really keep in mind is the distance from the truck you can hunt is 100% limited by how long it takes to get the meat out and cooled. If it is hot, rough terrain, first time....you might only be able to hunt 1-2 miles from the truck. My first bull was a 3.75 mile pack one way. It looked short on the map. It wasnt. 5 of us got back to the trailhead at 2:30 am.

Next, start hiking with a 30 lb pack for training. This if for your daypack. Then start using bags of softener salt. Plural as in two 50 pound bags. this is for the packing meat part. you will find out rather quickly if your meat hauler is adjusted properly.

Next, look up Randy Newberg, Hunter on Youtube. Listen to his podcasts. (He posts here as Big Fin). He really knows his stuff.

Use Camofire.com for some great deals on equipment purchases.

Lastly, realize if you do this there is a 99.99% chance you will be hooked for life. Once you have experienced it you will need to do it every year. Elk hunting is tough, but there is nothing better. Be prepared to be uncomfortable for the whole time. You will be too hot, too cold, too tired, too hungry, too exhausted, too sore, etc. But again, it is worth it X10.

Oh, forgot one thing. Scrap the sidearm, there are no grizzlies in southern CO. Bring 2 rifles. If you can't carry in a rifle, you better rethink the whole elk hunting plan. That sounds a little harsh, but I am serious and trying to be honest with you. To backcountry hunt elk, it is physically demanding and carrying a rifle doesn't even register on the list of what is hard.

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely read this many times and share with the others.