Correct. Elk live in those few to several miles, probably more. I person needs to do some research prior to even coming to Colorado. My first hunt back in 1974 I did just that. Then I poked a pin in the map up in the Zirkle wilderness and got into elk the1st day.

Today though with the number of OTC tags and hordes of hunters in the those areas. A new hunter never knows how many other hunters will be in the area until he/she arrives and any elk that were in the area have long since moved to some where where those hunters aren't.

I see guys getting to an area 2-3 days before season opens and then go " scouting". Hiking thru meadows ,going into bedding areas or travel routes,leaving scent all over, bugling like crazy and the elk leave.

I have sat on ridge lines watching pack strings, hikers moving in,setting up camps, noisy as all hell, camping in prim eelk habitat and see elk going over the ridge even before opening day.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles