first Year or two are a huge learning curve especially if hunting the same area or unit. You have to stay with it.
Ive Been very lucky in my draw and some friends donating points so I’ve hunted same unit/area for 7 out of 10 years and have 5 elk out of there and 3 years hunting in bordering unit and I got lucky the first year trying it out...and skunneked the other two.
Last year My friend “joe” asked how I get or find my elk last few years.
I’m not trying to brag as I have been rather lucky than good. But
I Scout, come early for camp, stay and put miles on the boots even after filling my tag to help others . I Hunt the same area over and over and learn something new every year.
“Joe” likes to hunt the newest and best area every year that he hears about and gives up after 3 days of hunting even after “seeing” elk.
I strongly suggest you fly out, camp in back of the rental and set up one or two Trail cameras. By the time you come back to hunt you’ll feel much more
Comfortable as you’ll google earth scout in mean time and see things differently after you actually saw it in real life.

Last edited by Dre; 08/03/18.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.