Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JamesW
I also bed the scope mounts to the receiver using JB Weld. I use Teflon spray on the receiver, bolts and bolt holes, clean the bases then apply epoxy screwing them down into a neutral position (not torqueing them). When epoxy set I then take out the screws and use blue lock tite and torque.

For me the point is to epoxy it all into a monolithic mount, screws, bases, receiver... all of it.

Brad;
Good evening to you, I hope this finds you and your fine family well.

If memory serves, the first time I read about epoxying bases onto the receiver was in a Ed Nixon story in hunting magazine entitled "Trophies to Take With You". He was a Montana guide from the Swan Valley and did an Alaska trip where he built a .338 on a BSA action - again if memory serves and it might not after a day in the Okanagan sun.

Anyway he talked about epoxying the bases to the receiver, then the bottoms of the Weaver scope mounts in and finally the El Paso Weaver was epoxied in place too.

For me it was a watershed moment where a light went on - I'd had a couple of rifles "loosen up" on me, once completely wrecking a late season whitetail hunt one valley over. I began to epoxy the bases onto my "rough use" rifles back then and have been doing that on any rifles passing through my shop unless the owner asks not to.

A couple decades of use in the BC and Yukon back country are pretty fair testimony that it works - or so I've come to believe.

For sure any horse hunting arms got epoxied bases and rings whenever feasible - even Ruger No 1's and so help me Brad they all worked when asked.

Anyway as always it's just one increasingly aging Canuck's thoughts on the matter and nothing more. All the best to you all this summer Brad.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"