Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You can do it however you want. I just think that the torque on the screws is plenty to keep your base from moving as long as those screws never loosen over time. I think the reason a mount moves is because the screws loosen with repeated impacts of recoil and other movement . I also change scopes often enough that I don't want to have any mess to clean off my rifle.. Every rifle I have ever used release agent on still had an epoxy bond even after I took the screws out. The advantage of the release agent is that a few taps on the bases after removing the screws popped them off clean.

I think someone posted a link to some high speed photography that shows there is definite movement in the bases with 6-48s and nothing else. Most of the time the spring back just fine but in rough handling, there is some movement that is plastic.

Bedding and 8-40s is always a good idea. I find that I can usually snap it loose with a brass punch and no heat. The fact that it is still bonded shows that it did indeed hold. I typically used Devcon 10110 rather than JB. I don't glue the screws. They could be hard to get out. Just use Loctite on the screws themselves.

The latest thing is to pin the rail to the action with dowel pins. This is how my Defiance actions are set up. Very rigid, very removeable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.