I've only been shooting the 6.5CM maybe 6 months now and don't have any experience on game with it yet so I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers here. I get that all the reading material out there says that with good shot placement, the CM with its high BC is capable of taking game much farther than most of us have a right to be shooting (myself included). But during last years elk hunt, I still remember our outfitter shaking his head when one of the other hunters pulled out his CM to check the zero. When I asked him about it later, he just asked me if I would choose a .223 to take on a trophy white tail hunt.

You said grandkids so I'm assuming a .308 with 165's is too much, but wouldn't a light recoiling 7x57 or 7mm-08 with a 140 Barnes or partition be a safer bet for something the size of a moose? Again, not trying to bash anyone here. I've never taken anything bigger than Red Stag or elk so I have no idea what it takes to put down a moose fairly quickly. Nearly 40 years ago my first deer rifle was a Rem 700 in 25-06. I've killed a pile of deer with it and even the Red Stag. It's only .007 smaller than the 6.5 but moving a bit faster for quite a ways, and while I wouldn't hesitate to use a 120 partition on a black bear I just don't have any confidence in using it on something the size of a moose.

I grew up in Michigan and have never hunted outside the lower 48, so I don't doubt that you have infinitely more experience on the truly big game found in Alaska. I can't wait to try mine on deer this fall, but is the 6.5 CM really adequate for moose?