Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Sheister
Hope yours does better than my Remington 700 Varmint and .223 AI VSSF. Both are 12 twist and would shoot 55's into around 1 1/2" or so with careful handloading. However, I stumbled across a load with 40 grain Nosler BT's which shoot bugholes and I've stuck with it ever since. Absolutely like dynamite on coyotes and anything smaller out to as far as I want to shoot at them, which is quite a ways....

Bob

Those 40 BTips will actually do just fine on deer as well. They'll break the shoulder if necessary on the way in.

I will respectfully agree to disagree on that one. I would never use .223 BT's for deer sized game on a bet. I've seen what they do to rock chucks, rabbits, ground squirrels, and other thin skinned game and they are so explosive they sometimes don't even go all the way through a rock chuck. The hole they leave are also impressive, but would translate to huge amounts of damaged meat IMO. Besides, I have better tools for that job. I don't know, maybe we have bigger deer here, but I doubt it. Seems like the deer I saw in North Dakota a couple weeks ago were getting pretty fat on all that grain they were eating.... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.