I was able to get in on a culling shoot for deer and very successfully used Federal Premium with 60 gr Partitions and 55 gr Bear Claws, Winchester with 64 gr Power Points, and standard Remington 55gr pointed soft points in the green and yellow box. These were all shot from a plain Jane Remington 700 ADL with 1:12" twist.

The Remington's were my second least favorite as I had to shoot twice more with those than the others. To be fair, I shot them toward the end when the remaining deer were more skittish and ideal shot angles were not offered as often nor as long. I would have been better served using them first.

My least favorite were some 55gr Barnes X-Bullets by PMC or Eldorado or some such company. These were early production and they did some funky things in the deer. They didn't always open up and often veered off course making for some practice in tracking and recovering animals from people's yards who did not gree with the culling operation. The newer tipped versions seem to have rectified this problem but I haven't tried anything smaller than 7mm yet.

I was not a proponent of 22 center fires on deer based on some experiences with buddies but that hunt moderated my position. I am not a fan but know that the 22 center fires are capable with proper bullet choice and bullet placement. I just can't bring myself to trust it as a good choice for at least some of the hunting I do.