Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by pete53

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Or you could just not worry about an extra 5-10 pounds on your 1-2 mile hike to your deer stand. smile

Really didn't mind the extra 10 pounds hauling the 15 pounder to the old "deer" stand here or anywhere else this fall. For true backpack based hunts where I live with everything on my back then sure a 6-8 pound rifle is nicer, but I don't get too wrapped around the handle for rifle weight anymore, especially for day hunts.

[Linked Image]

Awesome picture! I thought my hunting environment was an ass kicker...Not even close. Humbling, actually. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”