Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My wife of 43 years gifted me your book for our anniversary, love that gal. I long ago read "Unrepentant Sinner", so I snuck ahead in your book, as I was eager to see what you said about Charles Askins. An honest assessment in my opinion on your part. I truly believe in this day and age he would be in jail for some of the killing he did. One thing is for sure, successful gun fighters are not bashful about pulling the trigger. I have often wondered if he ever met Frank Hammer.

There’s a relatively new biography out on Hamer that mentions his doing some “consulting work ” with federal agents in El Paso during the 1930s. Been a few months since I read the book but the part that stuck out was Hamer couldn’t figure out how the feds we’re losing so many officers until he heard they were yelling “hands up” as soon as they encountered smugglers. To teach the error of their ways Hamer supposedly led them to a ambush site on the river where he opened up on a group of smugglers with his Rem model 8 and then yelled “hands up”. So wouldn’t surprise me if they’d met in that time period and that AskIns got some ideas from him