Originally Posted by J23
The ones I have used open up like a Ballistic Tip, and penetrate like an 'X.' I don't think I have ever recovered one from the deer I have shot with them. My only hangup is they aren't generally the most accurate bullet you can use, but they still shoot well enough. If I were ever after Elk, Moose, or something that could eat me back, they would be my go-to bullet.

The typical Loony wants his hunting rifle to shoot one hole groups. I know, I'm one.

But, unless one is shooting at extreme distances, field accuracy may be OK at 1.5" or so. If I have a rifle shooting the NPT at 1.5" at a hundred, I consider that a failure and keep looking. If I'm shooting less than 300 yds, which is about 99% of my hunting experience, 1.5 MOA is good enough.

My thinking, I want the gun to be about perfect so it's not part of the variables that I bring to the equation. But, most shooters out in the field would do well to shoot 3" at a hundred; I doubt most could do that well. I missed an 80 class pronghorn at less than 100 yds with a half MOA .240. Awkward shooting position, fighting with a Harris bipod that should have been folded. These things happen.

I don't have a gun that won't shoot NPT's at 1.5 MOA....

DF