Originally Posted by RevMike
This has been an interesting thread, and it got me to wondering about using Partitions in reduced loads. If the lead in the front half is softer than used in many C&C bullets (I'm thinking perhaps Interlocks, in particular), and the base keeps the momentum going for deeper penetration, it sounds like it would be an ideal bullet for use in a reduced load deer load, say a 140-grain NPT at about 2300 fps in a 7x57/7-08. It would probably still punch through our little southern deer and leave a good blood trail, but at the same time keep recoil and report to a minimum. Or am I missing something?

RM

Mike:

The most major point missing, is the ability for a 2300 fps reduced load to group tight enough, to allow for an accurate shot at the outer end of a 2300 fps load’s range, 275 yrds. (1811 fps), at deer sized game you mentioned you will be hunting.

2300 fps loads are not shown on Nosler’s site for 140g bullets.

At Nosler, click on the “140 Grain” load section at the top, you will see the three slowest fps 140g loads, with the best accuracy (* denotes best accuracy), are the following powders and fps:

Viht N150 – 2515 fps
H414 – 2538 fps
A-2520 – 2550 fps
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/7mm-08-remington/

To save yourself wasted time, you just need to bump the load up to the 2500 fps area, and determine which of those powders / loads will group in your rifle sufficiently enough for your satisfaction. 200 fps faster above 2300 fps will not be that noticeable in your quest for the lower recoil you are seeking.

Additionally, 2550 fps will allow for a flatter trajectory and ability to reach further out, if necessary, to 400 yards, where 1816 fps still allows for full expansion.

100 ft. - elevation
2300 fps 3.2 @ 100yrds., with a 200 yrd zero.
2550 fps 2.4 @ 100 yrds., with a 200 yrd zero.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)