Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
[quote=Coyote_Hunter]Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[[photos not available, deleted links]]

Pretty creative, and portable for places with no trees to use for hanging poles. How sturdy is it?

I've never tested it for maximum weight but I think it would hold a gutted elk.

I think you'd have to be careful with a heavy load that was anything other than hanging straight down..

If you wanted to lift a large whitetail for instance and fitted it with a pulley, and then rigged up a winch to the back of the pick-up bed, I suspect the angle of the pull might warrant a bit of extra bracing..

Obviously, thats a deviation from its current intended purpose, for which it looks fine..

Have lifted a 4x4 buck mule deer once it was gutted and on the tailgate. Car wash bent the square tubes attached to the bed of the truck and wife never lied them sticking up anyway. Yesterday I replaced them with tubes that are below the top of the bed walls so that they can't be seen unless the gate is open. Two tubes on each side, welded together. One gets bolted to the side wall using existing holes, the other holds the pipe. No more car wash damage and a happy wife. With the mods the vertical pipe are now in two sections so they fit in the short bed without extending out over the gate. Win/win/win. smile The 2x4 still sticks out over the tailgate but only by about 4 inches.

We skinned a total of 6 antelope on the rack last weekend, before the mods. Will try to remember to get photos of the post-mod version.

Takes longer to describe it than it does to set it up (or take it down). smile
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.