Originally Posted by 65465Mo
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I use a 30-06 for moose year after year but if I was making a once in a lifetime Alaskan hunting trip, I’d probably buy a cool 338 or 375.

Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I use a 30-06 for moose year after year but if I was making a once in a lifetime Alaskan hunting trip, I’d probably buy a cool 338 or 375.

Of the guides/ outfitters I've talked to , all said they would time over rather see a well worn 30-06 /270 class unpacked than a new Mag.

All depends on what rifle you can handle, and the guides already know that most hunters don't have much trouble with rifle calibers such as the .30-06. But if you are already used to a bigger gun, then use that one. For me the .338WM is perfect for my hunting in Alaska, just because that's the rifle caliber started hunting with back in the early '90s when I retired from the military. Back then I used ammo with 250-grainers, but nowadays have settled with the 225-grain TTSX as an all around bullet.

That said, a .300 or 7mm Magnum through .375 H&H with a properly fitted stock (set to your LOP), plus a Decelerator recoil pad, go a long way relating to taming recoil.

Last edited by Ray; 11/12/18.